Sunday 12 February 2012

Snow and Milestones

Yesterday was the anniversary of one of my favourite home ed blogs http://thegallivanters.blogspot.com/
It has inspired me, given me ideas for resources and also made me question my own beliefs and thoughts. All good stuff. I kind of like the idea that on the first anniversary of that blog, I finally commit to try to blog at least a couple of times a week. There are so many precious moments that pass while I'm still living through the fog of not enough sleep and managing 3 small children.

Exciting news this week, started with the snow, which meant that we went sledging but also that Daddy managed to lose the camera with our pictures of us all having a go (including Eloise who wasn't all that impressed). Natalie and Lucas love the snow and have been waiting for it since before Christmas so I'm glad they finally got some. With the second dump of snow we were treated to the most magical dog walk in the woods which sparkled in the sunshine and looked as though it had been covered with the most wonderful coating of icing sugar.

Eloise is now walking properly - not just the odd step or two - setting off across long distances with her little arms outstretched. She looks so small and sweet but it is exciting and sad all at once. My last little baby is moving on into toddlerhood. I managed to get a couple of films of her early walking on my phone. Note to self to get some more crawling before it is too late.

The other excitement is that Natalie is suddenly really taking to reading. She has been obviously more and more interested but then I tried her on a 2 week trial of Reading Eggs. I have still got mixed feelings about computers. It almost feels like cheating and I have read for years about the dangers of screens. However, she is loving it, and is making so much progress so quickly and having fun at the same time. It seems like the most straightforward, clever and stress free way to learn to read. I needn't have worried about her not being interested in books. She has been bringing me Peter and Jane books in the evenings but is now finding them easy as she already knows so many of the words.

Happy anniversary to you Katie!!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Angela :)

    Great to see you blogging your home ed adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog because Katie mentioned it. Our kids are 18 months apart. They're almost adults now but when they were young I said, with a hard grain of truth, that I was Microsoft's worst employee because of sleep deprivation.

    It gets better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting. I know just from reading blogs and watching friends with slightly older children that it gets easier. It also goes so quickly!

      Delete
  3. I am an avid reading eggs fan! My 4 year old is a very independant soul and gets frustrated if things don't come easily to her. Reading eggs has helped her reading no end. I don't think it's cheating as computers are the future, so they're learning lots of important skills they'll need x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. It is all part of the journey isn't it. I guess I was very drawn to Steiner while they were younger and we haven't really used television or computers at all. It is interesting as although she loves using the computer because it is fun, she then uses her skills and brings me Peter and Jane books to read. The process is just easier as she recognises a lot of the words from the fun she has had on the computer. x

      Delete