Monday 20 February 2012

Technical Disasters!

So it has taken me a few days to actually manage to post this! Unlike my friend Katie http://thegallivanters.blogspot.com/2011/11/gallivanters.html who seems to effortlessly post every day, to the sound of a cleverly chosen u-tube tune, with clever links to resources or articles she mentions (which to be fair she has tried to show me how to do but I have still not figured it out) I am still struggling with the basics. I still struggle to upload photos, but I'm getting there. The most serious error this weekend which brought our new computer to a virtual standstill was to try to send a video of Natalie and Lucas singing happy 2nd birthday to a lovely little friend of theirs by email. Apparently Mac computers have some kind of glitch so that when you try to send an email which is too big it multiplies and multiplies. By the time poor Jonathan had spent about 3 hours trying to figure out it had multiplied about 90 times and was lurking all over the computer. Not good and not conducive to blogging!

The other not so good highlight of the weekend was Jonathan hurting his back by trying to help Eloise play football on Saturday morning with Lucas and Natalie. Bless him he had taken all of them to Lucas' football class as I had a journalist arriving to interview me about full term breastfeeding. Not good, especially as he has had problems with his back in the past.

Anyway, the interview seemed to go well. The journalist was really friendly and we chatted for more than 2 hours. He seemed interested in topics beyond the breastfeeding (including continuum concept, natural health, home education). I'm hoping that for the purposes of the article we stick to breastfeeding, though, as I really would like to raise awareness of the number of people who do feed their children long term and tandem/triple feed. Being an ex city lawyer is probably more persuasive than an increasingly "crunchy" home schooling mum!

Natalie and Lucas spent a lot of time playing a very detailed game with a lovely fairy castle book Natalie received in her christmas stocking. They even managed to include a dungeon in there!

On Sunday we did our usual walk in the woods and lunch with Granny. Natalie and Lucas love her stair lift. Eloise, however, is so mobile now that Granny's house is pretty much a nightmare. There are things in every direction waiting to receive the Eloise demolition treatment! Here is Daddy and Eloise having a little nap at home, a very rare quiet moment!
Today, we had some new friends come and play. We actually met them on a rare visit to Waitrose. I guess I always notice children who are out and about during the school day and we got chatting. Today they came to play here for the first time: mum and al 4 children. They all had a lovely time. I love the way that home ed children of all ages seem to get on. There were 2 boys (8 and 3) and 5 girls (2x6, 4, 2 and nearly 1). One of the highlights was the 5 older ones all acting out The Snowman in Natalie's room to the accompaniment of the CD. They all had a wonderful time and I enjoyed getting to know the mum a bit better too.
They all stayed for lunch and I have to admit feeling a bit of a domestic goddess, managing to get food on the table for everyone with a baby in a sling. Why is it so much easier when there is company? Oh for a real life community.

This afternoon Natalie and Lucas had their drama class. In the end of term show, Natalie is the ring master and Lucas is a circus flea. It is an activity they love doing and Lucas is holding his own in a class for 4-8 year olds. I am glad that the person who runs the class was guided by ability rather than age when he let Lucas join. Once their two best home ed friends joined the class it would have been very hard to ask Lucas to wait until he was actually 4. Their two friends weren't actually there today as they, along with their mother, have been suffering with the flu. We dropped some stickers off for them on the way home which cheered them up. We missed seeing them last week for our usual Thursday afternoon play and tea and hope that they will be completely recovered really soon.

2 comments:

  1. I blush everytime I read your blog!

    It does get quicker and easier - like any habit - I allow 15 minutes per day to blog otherwise I thinking I am too much blogging not enough living! But a record is so handy when it comes to LEA reports and so on.
    I have really learnt on the job - a true autonomous blogger!! - If you look at my first 4 months of posts they are missing paragraph breaks - It wasn't until Sandra Dodd told me about - A little bit of html code - that I knew how to do it!!

    It took longer when I used the main computer but now I tend to use the tablet which has a camera so many of the home photos are taken on there and they can be shared to blogger pretty much instantly whereas when I was connecting my camera with a lead to the PC that took much longer.

    Am always listening to music - at home and in the car - I almost always go for a song I have heard that day.

    Someone said when I started blogging just do it and you'll find your own style and you do.

    The other amazing thing is that after 8 years away from work I can type again. A few weeks ago I realise I had turned away to talk to the children and my fingers were still typing away - that was a skill I thought I had lost forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your blog and hear what you have been up to. :) Hope you are enjoying your weekend x

    ReplyDelete